Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I am sitting down to write this on the week of Thanksgiving, one of those weeks when no one is all that intent on working that much. And although I can guarantee that there will be multiple times this week when I am thinking more about pie than finances, my work never travels too far from my mind.
In the spirit of this week, that is something for which I am thankful. I realize how lucky I am to love my job, and a huge part of that is YOU.
I am thankful for the clients with whom I work. Sure, this is obvious in the fact that having these clients allows me to run my business and pay my bills. My job would not be nearly as fulfilling if this was all you were to me, though.
I have been lucky to have the clients I have because of who they are. After all, most people who use my services do it because they do not want to spend their time doing their bookkeeping, payroll, taxes, finances, what have you. They put their efforts elsewhere, and that is what makes their businesses great – they are linking their passion to their profession.
That means that I get to learn from my clients. Since my passions lie elsewhere, every new client offers an opportunity to teach me something, gives me a chance to enrich my world. For that I am thankful and I thank you for it. 
Beyond that, I have even been lucky enough to have clients that I call friends. 
Our work can dominate our lives too much (ask anyone who knows me about that come March and April). Our work can also thrill us, though, sometimes to the point where it doesn’t feel like work. Unfortunately, as with everything in life, the negative bits can feel heavier and outweigh the positive even if the count of good things vastly outnumbers the bad.
This is a time of year to remember such things, and I hope you will forgive my reflections. If you are so keen on reading my words that you miss the tax and finance talk, I promise I will return with more next week. (Also forgive me then for insisting earlier that your passions must lie outside the accounting realm, you clearly have some love there, too).
Finally, here is a simple wish that you have things in your life to be thankful for beyond the workplace and that you have some time with friends and family to reflect upon them this week. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment